Thank you for your interest – this role has been filled
Membership Manager – Job Description
About Green Angel Ventures
Green Angel Ventures is the reference early stage investor for UK climate innovation. We specialise in the fight against climate change. We invest through our EIS Climate Change Fund, on behalf of our co-investment partners, and through our syndicate (Green Angel Syndicate). Together with our skilled in-house team, these funding sources also provide the knowledge and experience to add substantial value to emerging climate start-ups.
Green Angel Syndicate is one of the largest angel syndicates in the UK. We identify, invest in, and help the growth of companies which have specialist technology or processes which can help limit or reduce the world’s carbon emissions. In the 6 years we’ve been investing, we have recruited more than 350 members, and invested in over 40 portfolio companies. This role focuses on member recruitment and care for our syndicate members.
Green Angel Ventures is a team of 20 people, and this is an exciting time for us. As well as increasing the number and size of investments into companies fighting climate change, our Climate Change Fund is raising and deploying more money than ever, and we have been awarded substantial government funds to invest, allowing us to make a bigger impact, faster. In July 2023, we won both of our industry’s two top annual awards, reflecting our strong market position and impact. In the near future, we expect to start deploying a large climate venture fund.
Your primary role will be to:
- improve and maintain relationships with existing Syndicate members
- plan and lead recruitment of new members
- represent the company externally to potential new members and related organisations
- manage and operate the IT systems we use to bring new members on board, to renew their membership, to communicate with them, and keep their details up to date
For example, tasks will include:
- Working with our members or potential members
- Holding regular updates with each member – engaging to understand their views on their membership, proposed investment opportunities, social and other activities, etc
- Onboarding new members
- Discussing and promoting the benefits of membership, and how they can maximise their involvement with the opportunities we offer
- Answering questions on any aspect of their membership or investments
- Working with the Steering Group (our management team)
- Making suggestions for improvements to our membership programme
- Preparing and reporting membership stats regularly
- Working with our Events Manager
- Planning, attending and helping to manage in-person events such as our pitch events, or members’ events, typically in London
- Working with our Marketing team
- Agreeing an ongoing marketing approach to support the objectives of this role
- Engaging with our social media campaigns, and write member newsletters
- Working with external bodies (eg. UKBAA, other angel/membership groups)
- Promoting Green Angel Syndicate and the benefits of membership
- Other tasks
- Updating member-related areas of our public and member-only websites
- Raising members concerns or problems with senior management for resolution
- Reporting on all contacts and update relevant records in our CRM system
- Processing membership/renewal applications, including ensuring FCA compliance checks for members
- Other ad hoc tasks or projects, throughout the business
- In your application, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in and aptitude for each of the areas in which you’ll be operating, through your education, working experience, and/or voluntary activities.
- This role requires customer relations experience – you will be able to show clear evidence of successful, sustained, and effective handling of customers of all kinds.
- You will be able to show a background working within a team, and also unsupported.
- You will be determined to use your skills and background to help GAV to fight climate change. You may have knowledge of and interest in sustainability and climate change.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills. You have fluent written English.
- You have exceptional attention to detail.
- You have the confidence and strong customer handling skills to engage with our external partners and our High Net-Worth members. You are strong under pressure, quick thinking, and have a steady nerve.
- You can use your initiative to suggest changes, and to make decisions confidently.
- You have good common sense, and can identify when ‘something isn’t right’.
- You’re comfortable reporting on progress and meeting deadlines.
- You are organised, self-motivated and self-directed. (We have always been a remote organisation, and we work hard to maintain a fun and supportive culture, despite being physically apart).
- You may have a technology/science or commercial background, and/or entrepreneurial experience or knowledge of start-up/early stage companies.
Green Angel Ventures is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture amongst our own workforce, our members, and the workforces of our portfolio companies. It is within our interest to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination in the workforce, as this is good practice and is fundamental to our core values.
Our aim is to ensure that all members, employees and job applicants are given equal opportunities. All employees, members and investors will be respected and valued.
All GAV team members work from home – we have no office. Some of our team who are based around London meet up for in-person working fortnightly, and we get all staff together twice a year for a couple of days. This role is mostly working from home, with occasional travel to locations in the UK. Many of our industry or member events are London-based, and it would be an advantage if you lived within an hour of London.
- Green Angel Ventures operates in one of the most exciting and dynamic sectors in the modern economy: the intersection of climate change, technological innovation, and fund management.
- This is a permanent contract with salary in the range of £35,000 to £38,000 depending on experience.
- We operate an auto-enrolment pension scheme (3% employer contribution on base salary, 5% employee) which you may opt out of.
- We pay a small monthly working-from home allowance, tax free.
- You’ll get 25 days holiday per year, plus all bank holidays, and your birthday.
- Holiday days increase with length of service, up to 29 days.
- We offer paid ‘journey days’ for travelling on holiday by train/coach/boat instead of flying.
- There will be many opportunities for long-term career growth as Green Angel Ventures continues to scale, and expand its operations into areas such as Fund management.
- Your voice counts. We employ smart people, and we listen to their opinions. You’ll play an active part in our organisation, and in our plans for the future.
Please send a cover letter (max 1 page) and CV (max 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership Manager role – your name” in the subject box.
Within your application cover letter please specify how you meet the requirements of the role set out above, and confirm the following additional points:
- Your available start date
- Understanding of the salary bracket
We cannot consider applications without a cover letter, and those which do not confirm the points above. As part of our diversity and inclusion commitment we are collecting data on the diversity of applications we receive for this role. Providing this data is not mandatory, but if you are willing please tell us your gender, your ethnicity and whether you live with a disability as part of this application.